FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
More know-how with just one click
Please click on one of the following questions and you'll get a quick answer. You didn't find your question? Just send us an e-mail .
HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR CAR2GO?
How do I register for car2go?
To use car2go, please register at moovel GmbH and open your personal moovel account. There you will need to provide your first name, surname and a valid email address. Furthermore you need to choose a username and password. If you wish to use car2go, please fill in your bank account data and your driver license data while registering.
You can sign up right away. Then your membercard will be mailed within a few days after online-registration. Now there is only one more step to do. Go to one of our validation points and show your personal QR code, your ID card* and your driver’s license**.
You receive your personal QR code during online-registration. Furthermore you can get your QR code on „myAccount“. You can either bring a printed version of your QR code to the validation point or just show it on your smartphone.
If you have the newest version of the car2go app on you smartphone, you don´t need the member card anymore. Of course you can still use the member card to begin and end a car2go rental.
Can I use my car2go promotion code for the moovel registration as well?
Yes, the promotion codes are also valid for registering at moovel. Just fill in your promotion code at “Gutscheincode”.
* Your identity card/passport (only together with the proof of residence) to verify your identity.
** The following driver‘s licenses will be accepted:
- EU/ERW and Switzerland.
- Not EU/ERW/Switzerland International driver’s license: only valid in connection with national license, or certified translation of the national driver’s license. The international driver’s license will be accepted only for 6 months after the entry in the country. The entry can be checked through the date of the plane ticket, the visa on the passport or the date on the proof of residence
WHERE CAN I CHANGE MY PERSONAL DATA?
Simply log-in with your user name and password. Then choose “myAccount” – “Data” – “Personal data” on the left side.
On this page, you can now change address, telephone number, e-mail, password and PIN.
Please keep your data up-to-date.
HOW DO I REGISTER AS A COMPANY?
First of all, you appoint a corporate administrator for car2go, who also serves as car2go contact. This administrator also has to be registered by car2go as a private customer. Once the validation process has been completed, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with information about the next steps.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS DRIVING CAR2GO?
You only pay a one-time registration fee of 19,00 Euro for a lifetime membership and receive your car2go membercard.
Driving costs 29 Cent per minute and maximum 14,90 Euro per hour*.
*In addition: Each kilometer starting with the 51st costs 0,29 €/km extra.
WHO CAN JOIN CAR2GO?
You can join car2go if you
• Are at least 18 years old
• Have held a valid driving license (EU) for at least one year or
• Have an international license
To sign up you need the following:
• German bank account
• Drivers license (EU)
• E-mail address
• Mobile phone
WHERE CAN I END A RENTAL OF A CAR2GO?
Basically: anywhere within the car2go home area. Please park the car2go on a public parking space that is free of charge, and accessible to everybody.
RESERVE A CAR2GO
FROM WHEN CAN I RESERVE A CAR2GO?
You can reserve a car here up to 30 minutes in advance.
How many vehicles can I reserve simultaneously/at the same time?
It is only possible to reserve one vehicle at a time.
My reservation has failed – what might be the cause of that?
It may occur that one reservation is made at the very same moment when another customer is trying to reserve the same vehicle. In such cases you can reserve another vehicle or rent a car2go spontaneously. Your reservation will be cancelled free of charge.
Please be aware of some basic car2go reservation rules: you can reserve only one vehicle at a time every 2 hours. This way we make sure that our free floating concept is available for the car2go community and the vehicles do not stay blocked unnecessary.
How do I reserve a car2go in a foreign country?
Prior to your first drive in a foreign country, you need to reserve a car2go via the latest version of the official car2go app. You can download the app here.
RENTING A CAR2GO VIA THE APP
How can I rent a car2go via the app?
• Use the car2go app to search for a car near you and reserve it if you wish.
• Then click "Start rental" on the app.
• If you have not yet confirmed the general terms and conditions of the country you are in, there will be a pop-up notice about the general terms and conditions, the price list and data protection consent. After you have confirmed these, the vehicle unlocks. If you have already confirmed the general terms and conditions – for example when registering – this step is omitted.
• You can now open your car2go and the rental will begin.
• Do the usual vehicle check, then enter your PIN on the car2go touchscreen, and follow the other steps on the touchscreen.
Which vehicles can I open with the app?
From now on, you can open any car2go with your smartphone.
Can I terminate the rental using the car2go app?
Unfortunately that is not possible yet. To terminate the rental, please proceed as follows:
• Simply insert the key and the cards in the slots provided.
• Close the windows, switch off the lights and get out of the vehicle.
• As soon as you have closed all the doors and the boot, the fifteen-second countdown commences.
• At the end of the countdown, the vehicle locks automatically and the rental finishes.
• If you open one of the doors or the boot during the countdown, the countdown stops and the rental continues.
• As soon as the door(s) or boot are closed again, the countdown is resumed at the point where it stopped before.
• The countdown is displayed on the touchscreen and in the card reader behind the windscreen.
Alternatively, you can continue to use your membership card to end the rental. Simply hold it on the card holder on the windscreen.
Does my smartphone need to be connected to the internet in order to use this service?
Yes. An internet connection is required to open the vehicle using the app. The rental can be ended without an active internet connection.
How does that affect car2go use in other countries? Do I need an internet connection for that too?
To rent vehicles using the car2go app, you will need an internet connection in your own country and in other countries. For the time-being, after initially registering, you will be able to start and end a rental using your membership card too.
CAN I USE MY MEMBER CARD TO RENT A CAR2GO IN A DIFFERENT CITY?
Can I use my member card to rent a car2go in a different city?
Yes, after your successful registration you can use our smart fortwo vehicles in all European cities. Please be aware all driving is inaccordance with local prices and terms & conditions. Information about foreign driving requirements: Which requirements need to be met, before I can use car2go in foreign countries?
Which requirements need to be met, before I can use car2go in foreign countries?
For using car2go in all European countries you need a moovel account of the moovel-GmbH. You will be upgraded automatically, when you sign in into your private account on our website. Firstly a valid payment method needs to be provided. You can use your credit card in all European countries. With SEPA- direct debit mandate, it is limited to all countries that do have the Euro as currency.
What do I have to do in order to book a car2go in a foreign country?
First of all you need to upgrade your car2go account to a moovel-account. You will receive the mobility upgrade when clicking on “Login” and by following the instructions. This step is the simplest one. While upgrading, all your personal data will be automatically taken over by moovel. Including all your invoices and driving history.
In you do not want to upgrade your account, there will be no changes; car2go is first available in your country. The advanced features that are connected to moovel will in that case not be useable. Furthermore you will not be able to use car2go in foreign countries.
In case you want to use car2go in a foreign country, it is necessary that you book the vehicle in advance via the latest version of the official car2go app. With this step you confirm the local terms & conditions as well as the local pricing. Without this step, It will not be possible to use the service abroad. Once you have completed this step, you can use car2go just the same way as at home. Simple. Always. Everywhere.
You can use your credit card in all European countries. With SEPA- direct debit mandate, it is limited to all countries that do have the Euro as currency.
WHERE CAN I PARK?
You can return the vehicle to any parking space in the car2go operating area, provided it is not a resident’s parking area or a company parking lot.
DO I HAVE TO REFUEL THE CAR2GO?
There is no obligation for you to refuel a car2go, as our service team is taking care of that. However, in case you need to refuel, you fill find a tank card in a special slot above the touchscreen. You can use this only at all SHELL petrol stations in Germany on the car2go account. Please only refuel the car with E10 or Super95.
In case the tank was less than 25 percent full before refuelling, you will get 10 free minutes to your account as a reward for your time (with a maximum of once per rental period).
WHICH EQUIPMENT DOES A CAR2GO HAVE?
The cars are equipped with the following features:
• Automatic transmission or semi-automatic gearbox
• Start-stop system
• Air Conditioning
ARE THERE ANY OTHER RULES?
Thank you for remembering the following guidelines:
• Absolutely no alcohol (0.0 parts per thousand) and no drugs whatsoever while driving
• Smoking is banned in the vehicles
• No transport of pets and animals, unless they are in a closed cage which has safely been placed in the boot.
• The vehicle must be looked after carefully
• Objects and equipment may not be removed from the vehicle
• Do not entrust the car2go to others
• No more than one passenger
• Please report damage and lost property to our service team or directly in our car2go Shop
As you know, violations can lead to exclusion from the use of car2go. That would be a shame.
HOW ARE CAR2GO VEHICLES INSURED?
Each car2go is covered by liability insurance with a deductible sum of 500,00 Euro. The cost of this insurance is included in the price of 0,29 Euro.
As of now you can reduce the deductible to 0 euro for a monthly fee of 9.90 euro.
WHERE ARE OBJECTS STORED THAT HAVE BEEN LOST IN A CAR2GO?
Principally, all the items that are found by the service team or submitted by car2go users are passed on to our shop.
If you once lose anything in a car2go let us know personally in the shop or inform us via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org